Castlemilk Stables Glasgow, Strathclyde Building Image, B Listed Property Project Refurbishment Scotland
Castlemilk House : Stables Block Restoration
Contemporary South Glasgow Building design by Elder & Cannon Architects
16 Nov 2007
Date built: 2008
Architects: Elder & Cannon
Photographs by Keith Hunter Photography
Castlemilk regeneration project: restoration of the historic ‘B’ listed Castlemilk House Stables Block, originally designed in 1790. Externally much of the original building has been restored to resemble its original appearance but internally the architects have used an exciting and elegant contemporary design.
For Glasgow Building Preservation Trust
One of 5 Scottish 2008 RIBA Award winners
Castlemilk Stables – Details
The latest of Castlemilk’s Regeneration project brings to realisation the adaptive restoration of this historic Castlemilk House Stables Block. Designed circa 1790 it is Category B Listed.
Prior to restoration only the outer walls remained.
Externally the building appears as a restored Stables Block following the original building profile of natural stone walls and slated pitched roofs over varying volumes. A more contemporary approach has been employed to this. A new steel and frameless glazed logia provide the primary circulation route to accommodation within the existing stone and new northern volumes focusing on the recessed central courtyard.
A sustainable approach has been adopted to the services philosophy for the building. The systems are designed to minimise the mechanical requirements of the services and optimise their performance throughout the whole life of the building.
The building was completed in July 2007 and handed over by GBPT to the new owners Cassiltoun Housing Association realising the original vision of the community who were intent on saving a derelict 18th century Stables Block in the heart of their area. This is a true community inspired project.
The project has won a number of local and national awards:
Civic Trust Award (2008)
GIA Supreme Award (2007)
GIA Award for ‘Best Reuse of a Listed Building’ (2007)
Georgian Group Architectural Award for ‘Reuse of a Georgian Building’(2007).
Location: Castlemilk, south Glasgow, Strathclyde, southwest Scotland, UK
St Aloysius Junior School design by Elder & Cannon Architects
Glasgow Buildings by Elder & Cannon Architects
Glasgow Buildings by Elder & Cannon Architects – Selection
Homes for the Future (south-west building)
St Aloysius Maths Block (Clavius Building)
Major Strathclyde Building Designs – selection:
Glasgow School of Art
photo © Adrian Welch
Glasgow Building Designs
Contemporary Glasgow Property Designs – recent architectural selection below:
Ingram Street Property Development
image courtesy of Artisan Real Estate
65-97 Ingram Street Glasgow
HMP Glasgow Masterplan
image courtesy of architects practice
HMP Glasgow Masterplan : Barlinnie replacement
Buildings / photos for the Castlemilk House Stables Glasgow design by Elder & Cannon Architects page welcome