St Andrews Church Glasgow, 18th Century Building Photos, Date, History, Architect, Images
St Andrews in the Square Church
Merchant City Religious Building, Glasgow, Strathclyde, Scotland
post updated 21 December 2021
St Andrews in the Square Church Glasgow
Dates built: 1739-59
Architects: Allan Dreghorn & Mungo Naismith
St Andrews Church Glasgow
Photos by Adrian Welch taken on 16 Apr 2011:
Typical for Glasgow, this church was surrounded by a later Square – by William Hamilton in 1786-7.
The old square’s buildings have gone (in the 1980s) and were replaced in 1996 with designs by Robert Johnston Associates.
Immediately to the east is Homes for the Future.
St Andrews in the Square Church wins European Heritage Awards
St Andrew’s in the Square church building and The Lighthouse in Glasgow were the only sites in Scotland to be named as buildings of outstanding historic importance by Europa Nostra, an organisation of more than 200 non-governmental heritage groups.
Glasgow Church Architecture
Major Strathclyde Religious Building Designs – selection:
Caledonia Rd Church by architect Alexander ‘Greek’ Thomson
Major Strathclyde Building Designs – selection:
Royal Exchange Square
image © Adrian Welch
Comments / photos for the St Andrews Church Glasgow page welcome