Gladstone’s Land Edinburgh
posted in: Uncategorised | 0

Gladstone’s Land, Edinburgh, Photo, Building, History, Merchant House

Gladstone’s Land Edinburgh : Royal Mile Building

Historic Building on the Lawnmarket, Old Town, Edinburgh, Scotland

post updated 29 November 2023

Location: top end of Royal Mile, north side

Address: 477b Lawnmarket, Old Town, central Edinburgh

Gladstone's Land
photo © Adrian Welch

Gladstone’s Land

Gladstone’s Land on the Royal Mile

Contact:

Telephone: +44 (0)131 226 5856

E-mail: information(at)nts.org.uk

Restored six-storey, 17th century merchant house in a traditional arcaded stone tenement building.

Gladstone’s Land is a surviving 17th-century high-tenement house situated in the Old Town of the city of Edinburgh, Scotland. It has been restored and furnished by the National Trust for Scotland, and is operated as a popular tourist attraction.

The “Land” (sited at 481 and 483 Lawnmarket) was originally built in 1550. The property was bought and redeveloped in 1617 by a prosperous Edinburgh merchant and burgess, Thomas Gledstanes, and his wife, Bessie Cunningham.

The work was completed in 1620. Its prominent siting on the Royal Mile (between Edinburgh Castle and the Palace of Holyrood) and the extent of its accommodation mark out the affluence of its mercantile owner.

Today, the restored building allows an insight into varieties of Edinburgh life of the period. The cramped conditions of the Old Town, and the physical size of the lot, meant that the house could only be extended in depth or in height. As a result, the house is six storeys tall.

Not far from Gladstones Land, up the Royal Mile is Edinburgh Castle

Edinburgh Old Town Buildings

Contemporary Scottish Capital Property Designs – recent architectural selection below:

Buildings adjacent include Edinburgh Castle and The Witchery Hotel
Edinburgh Castle
photo © Adrian Welch

Edinburgh Walking Tours

Glasgow School of Art
Glasgow School of Art
photo © Adrian Welch

Lothian Historic Buildings

Historic Scottish Buildings close to the capital

Arniston House

Ballencrieff Castle

Blackness Castle

Borthwick Castle

Royal Museum of Scotland, Chambers Street

McEwan Hall
Architect: Sir Robert Rowand Anderson

Scott Monument

Historic Glasgow Buildings

Glasgow School of Art, 167 Renfrew Street
Glasgow School of Art

Custom House Building Renewal
Glasgow Custom House Development

Trades Hall
Trades Hall Glasgow
photo © Adrian Welch

Britannia Music Hall
Britannia Glasgow
photo © Adrian Welch

Hill House, Helensburgh, northwest of the city
Hill House

Comments / photos for the Gladstones Land Edinburgh Old Town Building page welcome

Website: www.nts.org.uk