Trades Hall Glasgow, Architect, Location, Date, History, Tobacco Lords, Scotland
Trades Hall, Glasgow
Historic Building by Robert Adam for Robert Haldane, Strathclyde, Scotland
Trades Hall Glasgow
Trades Hall – History
Built to the designs of Robert Adam between 1791 and 1794, the Trades’ Hall was built to house the federation of Glasgow’s fourteen trades, collectively known as the Trades’ House.
Photo from 2 Jun 2012:
The Hall is located on Glassford Street, in Glasgow City Centre.
Trades Hall Glasgow photo from Feb 2011
The Trades’ Hall is the only remaining Adam built property in Glasgow and has undergone extensive interior renovation in the late 19th and 20th centuries. It is generally open on Doors Open Day.
Address: Trades Hall, 85-91 Glassford St, Glasgow
Location: west side of Merchant City
Trades Hall Architect : Robert Adam
Robert Adam, Architect (1728-92)
born Kirkcaldy; buried in Westminster Abbey
Robert Adam was not only the leading Scottish architect of the 18th century – and exponent of the Classical Georgian style – but remains Scotland’s most famous architect. He became architect to George III.
Robert Adam was born in 1728 in Kircaldy but his family moved that year to Edinburgh. He attended Edinburgh High School from 1734 and joined Edinburgh University in 1743.
Robert joined John as an architect apprentice to his father William Adam in 1746. Robert Adam’s father died in 1748 and was buried at Greyfriars Churchyard, Edinburgh. Robert then became John’s partner in the family business. The Adam brothers’ first major commission started in 1750 at Hopetoun House, west of Edinburgh.
Robert Adams’ Trades Hall is right in the heart of Glasgow’s Merchant City
Architecture close by to the northwest of the Trades Hall:
Building close by to the north of the Trades Hall:
photo : Keith Hunter
Bathhouse Glasgow, Merchant City Bathhouse Arts Centre
photo : Neale Smith
Comments / photos for the Trades Hall Glasgow page welcome
Trades Hall Glasgow Building – page