Corinthian Club Glasgow Casino, Bar, Private Rooms, Gaming, Rootftop Terrace, Ingram St
The Corinthian Club Merchant City
Restaurant & Club on Ingram Street in central Glasgow – by James Salmon & J Burnet
16 May 2019
The Corinthian Club Glasgow
The Corinthian Club: Glasgow’s Contemporary Landmark
Anyone who has ever visited the city of Glasgow for a little sightseeing, or anybody slightly interested in local architecture, will have no trouble identifying the most recognizable monuments around town. There is the Glasgow Cathedral, the Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum, the Lighthouse, Clyde Auditorium, City Chambers, Gallery of Modern Art (GoMA) and so on. A real aficionado, however, often looks beyond the main attractions, appreciating the lesser-known historical structures. The Corinthian Club is one of such sights.
Located at 191 Ingram Street, this building is one of the most impressive and significant in the city. The records date back to 1752 and the distinguished 18th-century Virginia Mansion, which was one of the most prominent private residences at the time. It was demolished in 1842 to make room for the Glasgow and Ship Bank, and then the Union Bank of Scotland. Another successful rebranding came in 1920 when it served the purpose of judiciary court, at which point false walls and ceilings covered some of its magnificent Victorian interiors, hiding it far from the public eye. The building underwent a restoration to its contemporary form as The Corinthian by 1999.
Nowadays, the grade A-listed club is a well-acknowledged place of entertainment in the area. It has a night club, fabulous rooftop terrace, glamorous restaurants and bars and a state-of-the-art casino. Perhaps, from the most famous, the most luxurious or most recognized casinos in the world, Glasgow’s own establishment is not the first to come to mind, but the modern, stylish look at the Corinthian and its high-end machines and terminals will make the gaming experience worth the visit.
In 2010, the place went through a multimillion-pound renovation process over the course of eight months. Graven Images, a renowned representative of the Glasgow architectural companies, led the redesign in collaboration with Scottish artisans G1 Group, on the interior of the building. The project included installing a mosaic floor project for half a million tiles, refurbishing ornate wooded detailing, installing hand-carved panels and bringing back to life an impressive 26-foot glass dome over the Telling Room, which is a focal point in the new Tellers Bar and Brasserie.
Address: Corinthian Restaurant & Club, 191 Ingram St, Merchant City
Contact: 0141 552 1101
Corinthian Bar architect : James Salmon
Historic Glasgow incl. Charles Rennie Mackintosh + Alexander Greek Thomson
Merchant City Buildings close by:
Comments / photos for the The Corinthian Club: Glasgow’s Contemporary Landmark page welcome