Preston Tower, Prestonpans, Photo, Historic East Lothian Building, History, Picture
Preston Tower Prestonpans
Historic Prestonpans Building, East Lothian, Scotland
post updated 6 Mar 2021
Located next to the Mercat Cross
central Prestonpans, East Lothian
Preston Tower from east
Mercat Cross 50m to south-east of Preston Tower:
Historic Properties in East Lothian
photo © Adrian Welch
Lennoxlove House was originally known as Lethington Tower, the house has existed since the 13th century. It was built to its full height in 1345 by the Maitland family, whose coat of arms still crowns the front door.
The building incorporates a fortified manor of 13th century, extended in the 14th & 15th centuries.
It was located on the rocks of the headland and incorporated a natural cavern below (now exposed) which may have formed part of the dungeon and undoubtedly acted as a postern-gate allowing supplies to be brought in by boat. For five months, the castle was defended by Black Agnes, Countess of Dunbar, against a siege by the English, under the in 1338 Earl of Salisbury.
Historic Properties in East Scotland
Duddingston Church dates from 1124 and contains a Romanesque doorway and chancel arch. A famous former minister at this kirk was the Reverend John Thomson.
At Holyroodhouse, a new family room will be created inside the palace, the storytelling of the state apartments will be improved and the Abbey Strand buildings, which sit just outside the palace gates, will be restored to house a learning centre.
Built round an L-plan tower house from e.15th century, much expanded in the 15th & 16th centuries.
photo © Adrian Welch
In 1818, James Dundas had the 17th century portion of the building pulled down and rebuilt in a Tudor-Gothic style by the Scottish architect William Burn. Burn also designed many churches and this influence is visible throughout the building. William Burn’s designs for the main state rooms allow for huge windows that look out on to lawns and parkland outside.
Comments / photos for the Preston Tower – Prestonpans Architecture page welcome
Preston Tower – page