Lauriston Castle Edinburgh by architect William Burn, Scottish Towerhouse, Architect, Tours
Lauriston Castle, Edinburgh
Historic Cramond building, Davidson’s Mains, south east Scotland
post updated 21 December 2021
Location: 2a Cramond Road South, Davidson’s Mains
History: 16th century towerhouse with 19th century additions: extended & modernised in 1824-27 by William Burn
Lauriston Castle Edinburgh
Lauriston Castle was originally a four-storey, stone L plan tower house, with a circular stair tower, with two-storey angle turrets complete with gun loops. A Jacobean range was added in 1827, to convert it to a country manor. This was designed by the prominent architect William Burn.
The majority of the interior is Edwardian.
Lauriston Castle admission by guided tour only – check with operators, as the info below was added many years ago!
from April 1st, Sat -Thu
tours starting at 11.20am, 12.20pm, 2.20pm, 3.20pm and 4.20pm
Grounds open daily from 9am to dusk
please check with owners for details such as access & charge
Lauriston Castle architect: William Burn
Contact: +44 (0)131 336 2060 fax: +44 (0)131 312 7165
Lauriston Castle – Entry Charge: £4.50 / £3.00
Other buildings by William Burn include Haddington Court House and Leith Custom House interior remodelling. Burn was born in Edinburgh, the son of architect Robert Burn and his wife Janet Patterson.
William was educated at the High School in Edinburgh’s Old Town. After training with the architect Sir Robert Smirke, designer of the British Museum, he returned to Edinburgh in 1812.
Scottish Historic Buildings
Scottish Historic Property Designs – key architectural selection below:
photograph © Adrian Welch
Scottish Castles in Edinburgh & Lothian
Comments / photos for the Lauriston Castle Architecture – Scottish 16th century towerhouse building designed by William Burn Architect page welcome