Kibble Palace, Building, Restoration, Date, Location, History, News
Kibble Palace, Glasgow
Glasgow Botanic Gardens – History, Scotland, UK
Kibble Palace Glasgow
Address: 730 Great Western Road, Glasgow, G12 0UE
Phone: 0141 276 1614
Kibble Palace Photos
Photographs of Glasgow Botanical Gardens taken in 1970 from visit by Norwegian architecture student Dag Nilsen, now Associate professor at the Faculty of Architecture and Fine Art, Norwegian University of Science and Technology in Trondheim, Norway – added 6 May 2011:
Kibble Palace News
The Kibble Palace reopened to the public 30 November 2006 following a multi-million pound restoration. Glasgow’s Lord Provost Liz Cameron performed the opening ceremony at 10am and the doors of the Kibble opened to the public at 12 noon.
Entertainment was provided by the Glasgow Repertory Company and the Helensburgh String Quartet whose performance included The Crystal Art Palace Waltzes composed by George Hopkinson in the 1870′s in honour of John Kibble.
Kibble Palace – Introduction
This building was built in 1863 but re-erected on the current site in 1871. The location is at the top end of Byres Road diagonally opposite Oran Mor. Buildings by Rennie Mackintosh – Queen Mary’s College – and Alexander Thomson – North Park terrace, 94-106 Otago Street and 41-53 Oakfield Avenue – are close by.
Kibble Palace Restoration
Public lecture on the restoration of the Kibble Palace
A free public lecture on the multi-million pound restoration of the Kibble Palace will take place on Thursday 17 November at 7.30pm in the Boyd Orr Building of Glasgow University.
The Kibble Palace is one of the last major iron and glass structures in Britain to be restored and this one-off event, organised as part of the Friends of Glasgow Botanic Gardens lecture programme, gives the public the opportunity to hear about its £7-8m makeover.
The lecture will be delivered by Mr Paul Scott, the Director of Engineering at Shepley Engineers Limited – the main contractors of the project who have been on site since October 2004.
Situated within the Botanic Gardens, the Kibble Palace is one of the most prestigious iron and glass structures remaining from the Victorian era.
The work to bring it back to its former glory has involved the complete dismantling of the Palace and its removal to Shepley’s premises in South Yorkshire for repair and conservation.
Ewen Donaldson, General Manager at the Botanics, knows just how important the landmark building is to Glasgow and is keen for people to know about its restoration process.
“The Kibble Palace is regarded with great affection by its citizens so it’s important they are kept up-to-date with its re-development,” he added.
“As well as maintaining its elegant architecture and high quality plant collection, the Kibble will also operate as a centre for a range of cultural events and performances including theatre, poetry and civic ceremonies.
“A new modified floor arrangement will also allow better access and use of the glasshouse.”
Free tickets to the Restoration of the Kibble Palace Lecture available from the Botanic Gardens, 730 Great Western Road, 0141 334 2422 / 3354
Restoration of the Kibble Palace Lecture
17 Nov, 7.30pm
The Boyd Orr Building, University of Glasgow, University Avenue
News Excerpt from Jul 2003 re Kibble Palace Glasgow:
“The Kibble Palace, which houses many rare tropical plants, was built in Glasgow’s Botanic Gardens in 1873…The Grade A-listed building is to receive a £3.49m Heritage Lottery Fund award for restoration. Glasgow City Council plans to dismantle, restore and rebuild the structure, as well as open a visitor centre.”
Riverside Museum Glasgow
photograph : Hufton + Crow
House for an Art Lover
photo © Adrian Welch
photo : Keith Hunter
Comments / photos for the Kibble Palace Architecture page welcome
Kibble Palace Glasgow Building – page