Ailsa Craig Scotland, New Scottish sea building image, Architect proposal, Girvan Community Developments news
Ailsa Craig Lighthouse
Scottish Lighthouse Centre design by John McAslan + Partners, Architects, UK
post updated 18 July 2023
Design: John McAslan + Partners Architects, London
Ailsa Craig Lighthouse Centre, Girvan, Scotland
Ailsa Craig Lighthouse Centre, Firth of Clyde
John McAslan + Partners has recently been appointed by Girvan Community Developments following an open design competition, to undertake the design of the Ailsa Craig Lighthouse Centre – a new community building located on the seafront at Girvan on the west coast of Scotland.
The Ailsa Craig Lighthouse Centre will be a hub for local regeneration providing an RSPB interpretation centre, sports facilities, theatre space, exhibition areas, a cafe and children’s crèche. Enjoying spectacular views over the Ailsa Craig, an island and RSPB nature reserve in the Clyde Estuary and beyond to Arran and Northern Ireland the building will form a focal point for the local community, a tourism gateway to the surrounding area.
The competition winning design focuses on the buildings relationship to the surrounding landscape – a proposal that could unify both natural and manmade elements – namely Ailsa Craig, the Carrick Hills and the town of Girvan. The new building, located adjacent to the town’s harbour, will utilise and harness the open aspect of the site to provide an environmentally intelligent response to the site and a landmark building visible along the coastline.
Ailsa Craig Lighthouse Scotland – Building Information
Client: Girvan Community Developments
John McAslan + Partners, Architect;
JMP: Landscape Architects
Arup, Multidisciplinary Engineer
Davis Langdon, Cost Consultant
Area: 2,800 sqm
Value: £6m – €9.5m
Ailsa Craig Lighthouse images / information John McAslan
Ailsa Craig Lighthouse Centre design : John McAslan
Also by John McAslan + Partners: Tradeston / Broomielaw
Location: Foreland Point, Firth of Clyde, west of Scotland, UK
Ailsa Craig Lighthouse – Description
White 11m high tower lies completed in 1886 by engineers Thomas and David Stevenson. Until 1911 the light was produced by burning paraffin. It was automated in 1990. The light has a range of 27 km. Solar panels were added in 2001 to provide power for the light.
Location: Glasgow, Strathclyde, southwest Scotland, UK
Glasgow Building Designs
Contemporary Glasgow Property Designs – recent architectural selection below:
New Blue Sky Lounge at Ibrox Stadium
image courtesy of Rangers FC
Blue Sky Lounge at Ibrox Stadium
University of Glasgow ARC
photo courtesy of UoG
University of Glasgow Advanced Research Centre
Crown Street Gorbals – housing
Comments / photos for the Ailsa Craig Architecture design by John McAslan + Partners Architects office based in southeast England, United Kingdom, page welcome.