Martyrs School, Glasgow, Building, Parson St, Honeyman and Keppie, Architecture

Martyrs’ School Glasgow : Parson Street Building

Rennie Mackintosh School, Scotland

Martyrs’ School

Architects: Honeyman & Keppie (Charles Rennie Mackintosh)

Address: Martyrs’ School, 52 Parson St, Glasgow, Scotland

Date built: 1898

Contact: 0141 271 8301 or 552 2356

Visits: Martyrs’ School is open by appointment only:
call St Mungo Museum on 0141 553 2557.

Martyrs’ School is one of the earliest buildings by architect and designer, Charles Rennie Mackintosh (1868-1928). Mackintosh was a junior assistant with Honeyman and Keppie, having just completed his apprenticeship.

The practice survives to this day as Keppie Architects.

Charles Rennie Mackintosh

The school was commissioned in 1895. Martyrs’ School is near to Provand’s Lordship and St Mungo Museum. The building is 5 mins walk from Glasgow Royal Infirmary hospital & 15 minutes’ walk from High Street rail station.

St Mungo’s Museum
St Mungo Museum
photo © Adrian Welch

St. Mungo Museum of Religious Life & Art
2 Castle Street
Opened in 1993
The museum examines all the world’s major religious faiths.
Admission Free.

Provand’s Lordship
Provand's Lordship
photo © Adrian Welch

Charles Rennie Mackintosh (1868-1928)




Glasgow Walking Tours

Key Buildings in the city by Charles Rennie Mackintosh:

Glasgow School of Art
Glasgow School of Art
photo © Adrian Welch

House for an Art Lover
House for an Art Lover
photo © Adrian Welch




Jordanhill School
Jordanhill School
photograph © Keith Hunter

St.Joseph’s Primary School : RMJM architects
St Joseph’s Primary School
photo © Keith Hunter

Comments / photos for the Martyrs School Architecture page welcome

Martyrs School Glasgow Building – page