Springburn Winter Gardens Competition, GIA Glasgow Building Contest, Project News
Springburn Winter Gardens Glasgow
GIA Design Contest: Strathclyde Architecture Competition – Shortlisted Architects + Designs
5 Oct 2014
Springburn Winter Gardens Shortlist
In the GIA Springburn Winter Gardens Competition 5 finalists have been selected from 25 entries. The public vote on the finalists commenced on 20th September.
Springburn Winter Gardens Glasgow Contest
Finalist A: The City of Play Design: http://www.thecityofplay.co.uk/
Finalist B: David Tinto: www.davidtinto.co.uk
Finalist C: Ruggero Lancia: Architect and Post-doctoral Researcher at Glasgow University.
Finalist D: WAP Architects: http://www.waparchitects.co.uk/
Finalist E: James Hand and Nik Klahre: Cass graduates.
The winner of this Scottish architecture competition are due to be announced in November 2014.
Comments on the GIA design contest shortlisted entries are welcome.
The highest point in the district and in the City of Glasgow is Springburn Park on Balgrayhill, 364 feet (111 metres) above sea level. Springburn Park was opened by Glasgow Corporation in 1892 and laid out to a design by the City Engineer.
James Reid gifted a bandstand, to the park in 1893. His son Sir Hugh Reid of Neilson, Reid and Company’s Hyde Park Works also gifted the lands of the adjacent Cockmuir Farm for the park to be extended to the east in 1900. It was at this time that the Reid family funded the construction of the spectacular Springburn Winter Gardens, a £12,000 gift from Hugh Reid of the Hyde Park Works, as part of an arrangement for Glasgow Corporation to build a Public Hall in Springburn.
This hall was abandoned in 1985 and later demolished in 2012, despite local opposition. The Winter Gardens building has lain derelict since Glasgow District Council applied to demolish the structure in 1985, due to rising maintenance costs. The largest structure of its kind in Scotland, it is approximately 180 feet (55 metres) long and 9,060 sq ft (840 m2) in area.
Springburn is an inner-city district in the north of the Scottish city of Glasgow, made up of generally working-class households. Springburn developed from a rural hamlet at the beginning of the 19th century.
Its industrial expansion began with the establishment of a chemical works by Charles Tennant on the newly opened Monkland Canal at nearby St. Rollox in 1799, which later became part of the United Alkali Company.
Initially located outside the Glasgow boundary, the core area was eventually absorbed by the city in 1872 and other parts in 1891. In the early 21st century, it forms part of the Springburn/Robroyston ward under Glasgow City Council.
Glasgow Architecture Competitions
Architecture in Glasgow
Peoples Palace Glasgow
picture © webbaviation
photo © David Barbour/BDP
photo : Andrew Lee
Radisson Hotel Glasgow
Planning Application by North Planning & Development Ltd, reaction from architect Alan Dunlop.
Comments / photos for the Springburn Winter Gardens Competition Architecture page welcome