Redhouse Castle, Old Longniddry Building Photos, History, Date, Historic Architecture Images
Redhouse Castle : Historic East Lothian Building
Scottish Castle : Redhouse, Longniddry, East Lothian, south east Scotland
post updated 20 December 2021
Redhouse Castle Longniddry
Nearest town: Longniddry, East Lothian
Redhouse, Spittal, East Lothian
Location: just east of Longniddry, 1 mile south of Aberlady, south off B1377
Ruin: 16th century courtyard castle
The castle is designated as a scheduled monument. It is no longer protected as a category A listed building.
The first version of the castle appears to have been a religious institution, probably a hospice for pilgrims and travellers, belonging to the Douglas family. In 1421 the Earl of Douglas transferred the estates of Ballencrieff and Gosford to his mistress Christian de Ramsay to provide for her and their children.
The castle, a four-storey manor house in red sandstone, remained in the hands of the Douglas family, but it was sold in 1607 to John Layng, the Keeper of the Signet. His initials and those of his wife Rebecca Dennistoun are carved into the pediment. He died in 1612 and is buried in the churchyard of Greyfriars Kirk, Edinburgh.
Major Scottish Buildings
Key Buildings in Scotland Articles – architectural selection below:
Scottish Castles in Edinburgh & Lothian
East Lothian Castles
East Lothian Castles – Selection
Lennoxlove House – located south of the historic market town of Haddington
photo © Adrian Welch
Hailes Castle – located east of Haddington
Historic Buildings in the Edinburgh area
photograph © Adrian Welch
Comments / photos for the Redhouse Castle East Lothian Building at Spittal, Scotland, page welcome